As the new chairman of Urban Land Institute (ULI), David Waite spoke with Globe St. reporter Bruce Haring about the mission of ULI and his ambitious agenda for the coming two-year term which will include:
- Establishing ULI Los Angeles local “product councils.”
- Initiating ULI Los Angeles “sub-regional councils” focused on land use issues facing sub-regions.
- Expanding the Technical Assistance Panel and other ULI advisory service offerings throughout the Los Angeles region.
- Expanding participation in unique grant programs.
- Initiating a member outreach and engagement program with events that bring together sponsors, advisory board members, and strategic advisors.
- Launching the ULI Los Angeles Healthy Communities Initiative.
Waite sees ULI’s mission as education and outreach, engaging representatives from the industry for evaluating policy matters and initiatives, and providing services to community stakeholders. “It’s a member-driven organization,” says Waite. “We have just shy of 1600 members that are participants in our local district councils. There’s a lot we do that’s very effective and we really have an active body of work in the local district council, and we will continue with that.”
Waite has been a ULI member for over 16 years and is a partner at Cox, Castle & Nicholson.