Jose Padilla has thirty-five plus years of litigation experience with an emphasis on construction litigation in both construction claims and defect litigation, as well as a transactional construction practice, negotiating and drafting construction agreements.
Over the years Jose has represented large general contracting firms based in the western United States, developers of residential communities, municipalities, subtractors in practically every construction discipline and owners of custom built homes. He also has a commercial litigation and general business practice in which he has represented manufacturers and distributors of equipment, peer group security services, property management firms, and commercial and office building owners, providing legal advice with respect to their day-to-day business activities. Jose is conversant in Spanish, has achieved Martindale-Hubbell's highest rating - AV.
Represented general contractor, M.A. Mortenson, in a $50 million construction claim against owner arising from the construction of the Walt Disney Concert Hall.
Successfully prosecuted a construction claim by a general contractor against the developer of a high end condominium project in Aspen, Colorado while successfully defending against the developer's $98 billion claim for consequential damages due to delayed completion.
Represented the Port of Long Beach on various matters ranging from a multi-million dollar claim against a Chinese crane manufacturer who provided fourteen deficient container cranes to defending contractor's multi-million dollar construction claim relating to underground utilities.
Represented developer of apartment complex adjacent to Union Station in multi-million dollar construction claim case with general contractor.
Represented County of San Luis Obispo in two multi-million dollar actions brought by separate contractors arising from two phases of the construction of a major pipeline through the county.
Represented Curtainwall subcontractor in prosecution of claims arising from construction of the Aria Hotel, City Center Las Vegas.
- Twenty-Nine Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2019 Southern California Super Lawyers & Rising StarsPress Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 7.15.19
- Thirty-five Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2018 Southern California Super Lawyers & Rising StarsPress Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 7.10.18
- Press Release, Legal 500, 6.4.18
- Press Release, The Legal 500 United States 2017 Series, 8.3.17
- Thirty Six Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2017 Southern California Super Lawyers & Rising StarsPress Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 6.7.17
- Press Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 6.6.16
- Thirty Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2015 Southern California Super Lawyers And Six Named As Rising StarsPress Release, 1.23.15
- Press Release, 7.17.14
- Press Release, 6.12.14
Awards & Affiliations
Honors & Recognitions
Recommended Attorney, Real Estate - Construction, Legal 500 USA, 2017-2018
Southern California Super Lawyers, 2011-2019
AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Construction Managers Association of America (CMAA)
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
J.D., Santa Clara Law School
B.S., University of California, Los Angeles