Peter Weiner is a nationally recognized regulatory attorney who focuses on environmental and renewable energy law.
A prominent attorney with a top Chambers USA environmental ranking, Peter focuses on complex environmental, energy, land use and real estate matters. He has decades of experience representing renewable energy companies, developers, manufacturers, waste recyclers and consumer products companies in federal, state, and local environmental, energy, and OSHA regulatory matters, litigation, and legislation.
Peter’s energy practice includes representation of solar energy, onshore and offshore wind, geothermal, and biomass companies. He is an expert in project siting, federal siting laws, and species issues. In his environmental practice, he focuses on brownfield redevelopment, California Environmental Quality Act and NEPA, land use, superfund, the Clean Water Act, the Clean Air Act, hazardous waste management, species and wilderness protection, Proposition 65, OSHA, and environmental insurance. As the former Special Assistant to the Governor (Jerry Brown) for Toxic Substances Control, Peter has been involved in these areas of land use and environmental law for more than 35 years.
- Representation of 8 solar companies in permitting 10,000 MW of solar energy on public and private lands in CA, NV, and AZ, on 60,000 acres of land, representing investments of more than $10B.
- Representation of first Carbon Capture & Sequestration and Direct Air Capture projects in CA, with investment of over $2B
- Representation of Offshore Wind companies in CA.
- Represent The Boeing Company on water and waste remediation issues at Santa Susana Field Laboratory, a predicted cost of $500M-$1B.
- Represent several Brownfields developers of residential and commercial projects in Southern California, involving over 2000 homes and 1M sq.ft. of commercial space
- Represent Hazardous Waste recyclers in permitting and enforcement matters
- Press Release, Chambers USA, 6.3.22
- Client Alert, 11.14.22
Awards & Affiliations
Honors & Recognitions
The Legal 500, Energy Regulation: Conventional Power, 2021
The Legal 500,Environment: Regulatory, 2021
Chambers USA, Consistently recognized for California Environment including Band 1 Ranking
The Legal 500,Consistently recognized for Energy Regulation – Conventional Power and Environment – Regulatory and Transactional
Real Estate Sectors
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of California
J.D., Yale University, 1970, Member, Yale Law Journal
B.A., London School of Economics, 1967, Knox Scholar
B.A., Harvard University, 1966, Magna Cum Laude