UPDATE: The California Secretary of State is Replacing Its Business Entity Filing System in March – Here’s How to Avoid Delays/Disruptions
The California Secretary of State is Replacing Its Business Entity Filing System in March – Here’s How to Avoid Delays/Disruptions
Please remember that the current online filing system for the California Secretary of State will be offline starting this Saturday, March 12. Please refer to our prior alert HERE.
Please also note the following additional information that we received from the California Secretary of State regarding this process and the new filing system:
- No corporate evidence will be returned during the period while the filing system is offline.
- Between March 23 and 28, orders for certified copies and good standings will not be processed until the new system is online. Any orders placed during this time will be held until March 29.
- Once the new filing system is online:
- Document orders will be fulfilled online and evidence will be returned electronically. Overall, this should speed up turnaround times.
- Expedited Services will be back. The State suspended all of their expedited services during Covid-19, but when the new system launches, they will reinstate 4 hour, same day and 24 hour expedited services.
- The “72 Hour Rule” will NOT return. This means that submissions that are not fileable will NOT retain their original date of submission. Resubmitted filings will obtain the file date that they are resubmitted. If a specific file date is imperative, it may be wise to preclear the document ahead of time. Additionally, it may be wise to consider utilizing future file or future effective dates to secure the necessary date.
- Electronic Signatures are now acceptable for filings that can be filed online. However, if a filing is submitted over the counter (OTC) electronic signatures are NOT acceptable. We were advised to obtain non-electronic signatures whenever possible going forward as that provides us more options to submit the filing and minimizes the risk of jeopardizing a file date.
- Lastly, the California Secretary of State will be closed on Thursday, March 31st 2022 in observance of Caesar Chavez Day. This means that there will be backlogs and delays as we approach the end of the month and quarter.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this or any related matter, please do not hesitate to contact us.