Bob handles real estate transactions of all sizes on a national basis, representing retail, industrial, office, medical, and multi-family residential developers and owners in a wide range of projects. Bob's practice focuses on property acquisition, finance, development (including redevelopment), leasing, and construction. He has been responsible for the acquisition, development, and leasing for numerous shopping centers, offices, industrial, apartments, and mixed-use urban development projects throughout California.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Bob was a CPA for Deloitte & Touche in Seattle, Washington, and Los Angeles, California, and worked in property acquisition and finance for two real estate developers/syndicators. He still holds a Certified Public Accountant license. In the community, Bob used his real estate legal background to negotiate the acquisition and finance documents to open a new junior high and second elementary school campus for Stoneybrooke Christian Schools in Ladera Ranch.
Commercial Lease Transactions
Bob has drafted and negotiated commercial leases for developers and owners totaling more than 25 million square feet of commercial space, including many major tenant leases of more than 100,000 square feet. Bob has extensive experience in drafting and negotiating major tenant retail, office, and industrial leases, ground leases, build-to-suit leases, all types of retail leases including anchor tenant, restaurant, pad and shop leases, supermarket leases, theater leases, health club leases, sublease/assignment issues, and lease dispute resolutions and workouts.
Purchase And Sale, Finance, And Joint Venture Transactions
Bob has extensive experience in efficiently structuring, negotiating, documenting and closing the purchase and sale of all types of real estate assets, including office, industrial, multi-family, and retail properties. In addition, Bob regularly represents borrowers in negotiating, documenting, and closing complex real estate secured financing transactions. Bob has closed the purchase, sale and/or financing of more than $1 billion in properties and loans. Moreover, he is often involved in analyzing, structuring, negotiating, and documenting a wide range of joint venture transactions, including those relating to the acquisition, ownership and development of all types of real estate assets.
CC&Rs, Construction Contracts, And Other Agreements For Commercial Real Estate
Bob also handles REAs, CC&Rs, construction contracts, architects agreements, redevelopment disposition and development agreements, owner participation agreements, and other critical redevelopment documents.
LEED And Sustainable Development
Critical to today's environmentally conscious developer and building owner, Bob has his Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design® Accredited Professional (LEED AP) designation by the United States Green Building Council (USGBC). Bob joins a select group of attorneys nationwide who have recognized the significance of "green" building trends in the future of the building industry. He understands the LEED certification process, and has developed "green" leases that incorporate the relevant LEED or green building code and operations requirements.
Developed form "green" lease for a LEED certified office building in San Francisco, California.
Represented a borrower in securitized loan transaction totaling $175 million.
Represented an investment company in the acquisition, financing, and sale of multi-family residential properties totaling over 1,000 units.
Represented a developer in land acquisition, financing, development, and sale of a 380,000 square foot mixed-use office complex, consisting of one six-story office building, two three-story office buildings, one single-story office building, and a self-storage facility in the City of Corona.
Represented a purchaser in acquisition and financing for a 1.4 million square foot office and industrial project adjacent to the Hawthorne Airport in the City of Hawthorne, California.
Represented a developer in land acquisition, development and leasing of a 96,000 square foot office complex, consisting of one three-story office building and seven single-story office buildings on 9 acres of land adjacent the Ontario International Airport, Ontario, California.
Represented a developer in land acquisition, development, and leasing of two three-story office buildings totaling 130,000 square feet, located adjacent the intersection of the 91 Freeway and Interstate 15 in the City of Corona.
Represented a developer in property acquisition, development, sale, and leasing of a 123,000 square foot property, consisting of 22 buildings, mixed-use retail, automobile service, and an industrial business park, located at the intersection of Jamboree and Edinger Avenue in the City of Tustin.
Represented a full service real estate investment and management company in the leasing of a diverse portfolio of office and industrial properties in the Pacific Northwest.
Ongoing representation of a developer of over 2.5 million square feet of shopping centers, in substantially all leases transactions.
Completed leases with numerous national and regional retail tenants, including Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Lowe's Home Improvement, Home Depot, Bed Bath & Beyond, Barnes & Noble, Petsmart, Kohl's, Ross Dress for Less, Vons, Ralphs, Whole Foods, Staples, Office Depot, OfficeMax, L.A. Fitness, Regal Cinemas, AMC Theatres, HomeGoods, Toys R Us, Babies R Us, and buybuy Baby.
Represented a major retail tenant in the lease of a 750,000 square foot distribution facility in Mira Loma, California.
Represented the owners of 400,000 square foot shopping center and adjacent undeveloped parcels in the negotiation of joint venture agreements and sale of limited liability company interests to a national real estate investment trust in a transaction valued at over $220 million.
Represented a developer in the negotiation of Disposition and Development Agreement for the redevelopment of a 270,000 square foot shopping center in the City of Anaheim, California.
Ongoing representation of an owner of over 70 retail properties, totaling in excess of 10 million square feet in the Western United States, in substantially all lease transactions.
Prepared commercial CC&R's for numerous shopping center, office, and industrial properties.
Represented owners and developers in numerous construction contracts and architects agreements for shopping center, office, and industrial properties.
Represented developers in the negotiation of Disposition and Development Agreements for mixed-use redevelopment projects in the Cities of Vista, Modesto, and Stockton, California.
- Press Release, Super Lawyers, 8.1.22
- Twenty-Five Cox Castle & Nicholson Attorneys have been selected to the 2020 Southern California Super LawyersPress Release, Super Lawyers, 5.1.20
- Twenty-Nine Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2019 Southern California Super Lawyers & Rising StarsPress Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 7.15.19
- Thirty-five Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2018 Southern California Super Lawyers & Rising StarsPress Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 7.10.18
- Thirty Six Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2017 Southern California Super Lawyers & Rising StarsPress Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 6.7.17
- News, Daily Journal, 1.29.15
- News, Law360, 1.22.15
- News, Globe St., 7.25.12
- News, Daily Journal, 5.20.10
- News, California Real Estate Journal, 3.15.10
- COX, CASTLE & NICHOLSON LLP ATTORNEYS BOB SYKES AND HANS LAUTERBACH EARN LEED ACCREDITED PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONPress Release, CCN Press Release, 9.9.09
- The Art of Retail - Insiders Connect with Consumer SpendingNews, 06.01.07
- Allocating Operating Expenses in Commercial Real Estate Leases: Negotiating Strategies for Landlords and TenantsWebinar, 11.14.17
- Commercial Real Estate Leases: Strategies and Tools to Survive and Thrive in Today's Market and Anticipate Future Market ChangesConference, Hilton Long Beach, Long Beach, California, 4.26.12
- GREEN LEASINGSeminar, 4.26.12
- GREEN LEASING: The Next StepsSeminar, 5.1.11
- Conference, Green Pavilion, Las Vegas, Nevada, 5.24.10
- El Toro & Tustin Military Base Conversions and More10.3.07
- Article, ICSC, 7.25.18
- Article, Retail Perspectives, 1.30.14
- Article, Retail Law Strategist - Volume 13, Issue 3, Fall 2013, 09/01/2013
- Client Alert, CCN Client Alert, 6.5.13
- Article, Retail Law Strategist, 12.3.12
- Article, Shopping Center Business, June 2011
- Client Alert, Green Perspectives, April 2011
- The "Greening" Of Development (Part 2 Of 2): A Primer On The New LEED 2009 Project And Store Certification Rating SystemsArticle, CCN Retail Perspectives, Spring 2010
- Client Alert, CCN Client Alert, December 2009
- Client Alert, Retail Perspectives, 4.16.09
- Article, CCN Retail Perspectives, Winter 2009
Awards & Affiliations
Honors & Recognitions
Southern California Super Lawyers, 2020-2021
Selected as an “Influencer in Retail” in Globe St. Real Estate Forum, May 2020, as a member of the Retail and Commercial Development Team, the only law firm included as one of 15 national recipients
International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
NAIOP - The Commercial Real Estate Development Association
Retail Law Strategist, Contributing Editor
Certified Public Accountant
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design® Accredited Professional (LEED AP)
Orange County Chapter of the U.S. Green Building Council