John has extensive experience in representing financial institutions, real estate developers and owners, and institutional investors in complex commercial real property acquisitions, dispositions, and financings, as well as restructuring the financial arrangements of troubled assets.
Real Estate Acquisition And Dispositions
From negotiating letters of intent to closing, John has extensive experience in the purchase and sale of retail, office, multi-family, and industrial properties, including multi-state and multi-parcel transactions. John's knowledge also extends to assisting clients with due diligence investigations of properties to be acquired.
Financing Transactions And Related Workouts
John regularly counsels borrowers and lenders in connection with acquisition, development, construction and long-term financing of all types of real estate projects. He also frequently acts as local counsel for transactions involving real property located in California. John has broad experience assisting clients in connection with the purchase and sale of loans, loan defeasance, and loan modifications and workouts.
Represented borrowers in connection with $212 million term loan secured by a multi-building office park located in Springfield, Virginia.
Represented construction lender in connection with the financing of acquisition, development and construction of single family detached homes in Southern California.
Negotiated the assumption of an $8 million loan in connection with the acquisition of a shopping center in Chula Vista, California.
Represented the borrower in connection with a $125 million senior secured real estate term loan secured by 25 medical office buildings located throughout the country.
Represented an affiliate of borrower in connection with the discounted acquisition of the borrower's debt from a national bank.
Represented a public pension fund in connection with the acquisition of a portfolio of office buildings located in Austin, Texas for a purchase price of over $850 million.
Negotiated the sale of an office complex in Fairfax, Virginia for a sale price of $128 million.
Represented a public pension fund in connection with the investment of over $800 million to acquire a portfolio of residential projects located primarily on the East Coast.
Negotiated the post-foreclosure acquisition of a retail/office project in Hermosa Beach, California from lender.
- News, Bisnow, 10.3.17
- News, Probate & Property Magazine, March/April 2013
- News, California Real Estate Journal, 6.8.09
- Cox, Castle & Nicholson LLP's Partner John Matthew Trott Was Elected To Fellow Of The American Bar FoundationPress Release, CCN Press Release, 5.18.08
- Cox Castle & Nicholson LLP Closes Another Major Deal: Thomas Properties Group, Inc. Completes One Billion Dollar Financing of 3.5 Million Square Foot Portfolio of Class A Office Properties in Austin, TexasPress Release, 06.06.07
- Cox, Castle & Nicholson Completes $458 Million Refinance For 52-Story Tower and Parking GarageNews, 08.15.06
- Conference, Westin Copley Place, Boston, MA, 5.13.16
- Webinar, 3.25.15
- Strafford Webinar: Subordination, Non-Disturbance and Attornment Agreements in Commercial Leasing and Real Estate FinanceWebinar, 12.11.13
- Conference, Fairmont Miramar Hotel, Santa Monica, California, 9.9.13
- Conference, Washington D.C., 5.2.08
- Putting Your Loan Documents to the Test3.3.07
- Article, The Institutional Real Estate Letter – North America, June 2010
- Article, E-Report, 8.1.08
- What Developers Should Know About Special Purpose Bankruptcy Remote EntitiesArticle, 09.01.05
- Special Purpose Bankruptcy Remote EntitiesArticle, 01.01.04
Awards & Affiliations
Honors & Recognitions
Southern California Super Lawyers, 2004
American College of Mortgage Attorneys
American Bar Association
American Bar Association, Chair of the Real Estate Financing Group of the Real Property Trust and Estate Law Section; Formerly the Chair of Workouts, Foreclosure and Bankruptcy Subcommittee of the Real Estate Financing Group
American Bar Association's E-Report, Editor
Uniform Law Commission's Drafting Committee on Appointment and Powers of Real Estate Receivers, ABA Advisor
American Bar Foundation, Fellow
Real Estate Sectors
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
J.D., Columbia University Law School, 1997
M.P.A., Columbia University School of International and Public Affairs, 1992
B.A., Pomona College, 1989