Andrew Fogg is the Co-Team Leader of Cox, Castle & Nicholson’s Land Use and Natural Resources Team. Andrew has extensive experience in representing developers in the land use entitlement process and related areas, including all aspects of planning, zoning, and environmental review, in cities and counties throughout California.
Securing Administrative Land Use Entitlements
Andrew represents developers and public entities in processing administrative land use actions, including the negotiation and approval of numerous entitlement documents, development agreements, owner participation agreements, disposition and development agreements, subdivision approvals, conditional use permits, variances, and zoning and general plan modifications related to various projects. Andrew has been actively involved in a myriad of projects, including urban infill mixed use projects, hospital and healthcare facilities, hospitality projects, master planned communities, residential and commercial condominium developments, commercial centers, and industrial developments.
As part of his entitlement practice, Andrew has advised clients on all aspects of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), including the use of various CEQA exemptions and ensuring the adequacy of project specific Environmental Impact Reports and Mitigated Negative Declarations.
Defending Land Use Entitlements
In addition to representing developers in the entitlement process, Andrew has defended projects that have been challenged under CEQA and other California planning and zoning laws in both state and federal courts.
Prior to joining the firm, Andrew spent several years as an in house counsel at Amgen, Inc., a Fortune 500 global biotechnical company, where he provided legal support on land use and real estate matters for the company's locations world-wide.
Prior to working in house, Andrew was an attorney in the real estate, land use, and appellate groups at Irell & Manella, LLP, where he represented developers and public entities in land use and related matters.
In law school, Andrew served as Senior Research Editor for the UC Davis Law Review and following graduation, Andrew clerked for the Honorable Dean D. Pregerson in the Federal Court for the Central District of California.
Some of Andrew's recent approved representative projects include the following:
Luxury Hotel, Palm Desert, California. Represented a developer in approval by City of Palm Desert of proposed five-star 82-room boutique hotel and 59 condominium unit residence project adjacent to El Paseo shopping district and related Development Agreement.
Chandler Ranch / Rolling Hills Country Club Project, Rolling Hills Estates, California. Represented developer in approval by City of Rolling Hills Estates of a project to decommission an existing landfill, reconfigure and expand the existing 18-hole golf course and country club facilities, and approve 114 new single family home subdivision.
Hollywood Farmers' Market, Los Angeles. Represented operator of largest community farmers' market in City of Los Angeles in securing renewal by City of street closure permit over objections of an adjacent commercial property owner.
Riverpark Community, Oxnard, California. Ongoing representation of developers of master-planned community approved for over 2,800 residential units and more that 3.1 million square feet of commercial development in the City of Oxnard.
Apartment Project, San Leandro, California. Represented a developer in approval by City of San Leandro of proposed 66 unit apartment community together with a related Development Agreement.
Assisted Living Facility, Los Angeles. Represented operator of 116-room assisted living facility in entitlement of site; was the first project in the City of Los Angeles to be approved under the City's elder care facility ordinance.
- Press Release, Best Lawyers, 8.18.22
- Press Release, Best Lawyers, 8.18.22
- Press Release, Super Lawyers, 8.1.22
- Press Release, Chambers USA, 6.3.22
- News, GlobeSt.com, 11.18.21
- Press Release, Best Lawyers®, 8.19.21
- Press Release, Chambers USA, 5.20.21
- Press Release, Best Lawyers®, 8.21.20
- Twenty-Five Cox Castle & Nicholson Attorneys have been selected to the 2020 Southern California Super LawyersPress Release, Super Lawyers, 5.1.20
- Twenty-Nine Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Have Been Selected for the 2020 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®.Press Release,
The Best Lawyers in America®, 8.16.19
- Twenty-Nine Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2019 Southern California Super Lawyers & Rising StarsPress Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 7.15.19
- Twenty-Six Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Have Been Selected for the 2019 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®.Press Release,
The Best Lawyers in America®, 8.15.18
- Thirty-five Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2018 Southern California Super Lawyers & Rising StarsPress Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 7.10.18
- News, Real Estate Forum, 12.15.17
- Andrew Fogg Featured In The Press Enterprise Article - Riverside Approves New Hospital, Huge Healthcare Center Near Moreno ValleyNews, The Press Enterprise, 11.15.17
- News, GlobeSt.com, 9.27.17
- Andrew Fogg, Kenneth Williams, David Waite, and Gregory Caligari Featured in GlobeSt. Article - Housing Costs and Land Use Top List of CRE WoesNews, GlobeSt., 9.14.17
- Press Release, The Legal 500 United States 2017 Series, 8.3.17
- News, Forbes, 6.23.17
- Thirty Six Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2017 Southern California Super Lawyers & Rising StarsPress Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 6.7.17
- News, Daily Journal, 9.13.16
- Matt Wyman was featured in Daily JournalNews, 9.13.16
- News, Globe St., 8.16.16
- News, Globe St., 8.8.16
- Press Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 6.6.16
- News, Daily Journal, 12.30.15
- Thirty Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2015 Southern California Super Lawyers And Six Named As Rising StarsPress Release, 1.23.15
- Ten Cox, Castle & Nicholson LLP Attorneys Are Recognized As 2010 Southern California Super Lawyers Rising StarsPress Release, Super Lawyers, 7.1.10
- Ten Cox, Castle & Nicholson LLP Attorneys are Recognized as 2009 Southern California Super Lawyers Rising StarsPress Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 7.1.09
- Conference, The Omni Hotel, Los Angeles, California, 2.19.20
- Conference, The Resort at Pelican Hill, Newport Coast, CA, 10/02/2019-10/03/2019
- Conference, Jonathan Club, Los Angeles, CA, 9.26.19
- StimULI Breakfast: The "Missing Middle" Challenges and Opportunities for Middle-Income Housing DevelopmentSeminar, Greenberg Glusker, Los Angeles, CA, 2.20.19
- Conference, The Resort at Pelican Hill, Newport Coast, CA, 10.29.18
- The Omni Hotel, Los Angeles, California, 2.28.18
- Sponsorship, Andaz Scottsdale Resort & Soa, Scottsdale, Arizona, 11.7.17
- Conference, Taglyan Complex, Los Angeles, CA, 6.15.17
- The Omni Hotel, Los Angeles, California, 3.7.17
- Conference, Omni, Los Angeles, California, 3.2.16
- Seminar, Los Angeles, CA, 8.12.15
- Seminar, Paul Hastings, Los Angeles, California, 12.5.14
- Conference, Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, Los Angeles, California, 4.23.14
- Conference, Ojai Valley Inn & Spa , La Quinta, California, 11.16.13
- CBIA's 43rd Select Conference on Industry Litigation11.17.12
- Seminar, Ramada Inn University, Fresno, California, 3.4.08
- Article, National Real Estate Investor, 4.16.20
- The Decision in Berkeley Hillside: The California Supreme Court Clarifies the Rules for Using Categorical Exemptions Under CEQAClient Alert, 3.2.15
- Supreme Court Sets Standards for Using Future Environmental Baselines in Environmental Impact ReportsClient Alert, CCN Client Alert, 8.9.13
- The United States Supreme Court Holds That the Denial of a Land Use Permit can be a Violation of Constitutional Law When the Denial is Based on an Invalid Demand for MoneyClient Alert, CCN Client Alert, 6.25.13
- Article, American Planning Association Planning & Environmental Law, June 2012
- Client Alert, CCN Quarterly CEQA Case Law Update, May 2012
- Client Alert, CCN Quarterly CEQA Case Law Update, November 2011
- California Budget Wars: California Supreme Court Modifies Stay Of Redevelopment Elimination LegislationClient Alert, CCN Client Alert, 8.19.11
- California Budget Wars: California Supreme Court Grants Partial Stay Of Redevelopment Elimination LegislationClient Alert, CCN Client Alert, 8.12.11
- Client Alert, CCN Quarterly CEQA Case Law Update, August 2011
- Client Alert, CCN Client Alert, 6.29.11
- Client Alert, CCN Client Alert, 6.17.11
- Client Alert, CCN Quarterly CEQA Case Law Update, February 2011
- Client Alert, CCN Quarterly CEQA Case Law Update, October 2010
- Client Alert, CCN Quarterly CEQA Case Law Update, July 2010
- Transfer Of Funds From Redevelopment Agencies To State May Affect Existing And Future Redevelopment Project FundingClient Alert, CCN Client Alert, 8.6.09
- Client Alert, CCN Quarterly CEQA Case Law Update, Winter 2009
- Court Holds That Affordable Housing In Lieu Fees Must be Reasonably Related To The "Deleterious Impact" Caused By New Market Rate HousingClient Alert, CCN Client Alert, 3.3.09
- Voluntary Waivers of Right To Protest May Be EnforceableArticle, 10.18.06
- An Agreement to Waive the Constitutional Right to Protest Can Be Enforceable (PDF)Client Alert, 09.30.06
Awards & Affiliations
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers, "Lawyer of the Year" for Land Use and Zoning Law in Los Angeles, 2023
Best Lawyers, Land Use and Zoning Law, 2019 - 2023
Ranked in Chambers USA California in Real Estate: Land Use & Zoning, 2021-2022
Recommended Attorney, Real Estate, Legal 500 USA, 2017
Southern California Super Lawyer, 2015-2022
Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2009-2010
Los Angeles Economic Development Corporation Land Use and Business Friendly Committees
Los Angeles Economic Development Corporation State and Local Policy Committee, Co-Chair
St. Bernard High School Board of Advisors
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Southern, and Eastern Districts of California
J.D., University of California, Davis School of Law, 1998, Order of the Coif, The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 1992