A former in-house counsel at a large land developer, Matthew's experience enables him to understand the economic, legal, and practical challenges facing developers in California.
Transactional Advisor For Real Estate Investors
His practice involves acquisitions, sales, and development for institutional and private clients, including life insurance companies, homebuilders, developers, major domestic and foreign banks, and other financial institutions.
Matthew has substantial experience in structuring, negotiating, and documenting complex real estate joint ventures and financings having worked on many types of real estate assets, including residential, hotel, office, retail, industrial, multi-family, and mixed-use projects.
In 2011 and 2012, he represented several public pension plans investing more than $1 billion in opportunistic funds focused on debt instruments, distressed real estate, core real estate, and other assets.
In-House Experience With Large Land Developer
Matthew's duties in his former in-house counsel role included managing a $500-million land banking fund and overseeing the acquisition, entitlement, and development of various opportunity investments. He also worked very closely with the investors, analysts, architects, and engineers.
Negotiated and structured a $500 million joint venture between a public pension plan and an advisor to acquire single-family residences at foreclosure sales nationally.
Counsel to an insurance company in the formation, development, and sale of a $50 million industrial project in Southern California.
Advised a pension plan in the disposition of several assets in the restructuring of a $500 million fund.
Represented two public pension plans in restructuring a $1 billion opportunistic fund.
Represented several public pension plans investing more than $1 billion in opportunistic funds focused on debt instruments, distressed real estate, core real estate, and other real estate assets.
Represented a public pension plan in acquiring and financing a $125 million multi-family asset in Northern California.
Represented a large fund in acquiring and financing more than $250 million in multi-family acquisitions throughout Southern California.
- Media Mention, GlobeSt.com, 3.29.23
- Press Release, Best Lawyers, 8.18.22
- Press Release, Super Lawyers, 8.1.22
- Press Release, Best Lawyers®, 8.19.21
- Press Release, Best Lawyers®, 8.21.20
- Twenty-Nine Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Have Been Selected for the 2020 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®.Press Release,
The Best Lawyers in America®, 8.16.19
- Twenty-Nine Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2019 Southern California Super Lawyers & Rising StarsPress Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 7.15.19
- Thirty-five Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2018 Southern California Super Lawyers & Rising StarsPress Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 7.10.18
- Thirty Six Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2017 Southern California Super Lawyers & Rising StarsPress Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 6.7.17
- Press Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 6.6.16
- Thirty Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2015 Southern California Super Lawyers And Six Named As Rising StarsPress Release, 1.23.15
- Press Release, CCN Press Release, 1.1.13
- News, Daily Journal, 2.10.11
- Conference, Hilton LAX, 6.8.23
- Article, The Institutional Real Estate Letter – North America, January 2012
Awards & Affiliations
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers, Real Estate Law, 2020-2021
Southern California Super Lawyers, 2007-2019
State Bar of California
Jewish Federation – Gellar Program
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
J.D., University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, 1998, Order of the Coif
B.A., Northwestern University, 1993