Caroline is a finance attorney in every sense of the word. Given her vast experience with many different types of financing transactions, Caroline's clients seek her guidance in every stage of a transaction, from the brainstorming of deal terms to the post closing asset management. Her keen sense of understanding a client's business concerns is what makes her a trusted advisor. As a result, she is called upon to represent large, complex transactions as well as to offer guidance to remedy troubled assets.
National Counsel To Lenders
Her representation involves assets in every state, having represented every type of lender from large national banks and life insurance companies to small private lenders and conduit lenders. She also works with borrowers in acquisitions and dispositions as well as all of their financing needs. The types of transactions for both lenders and borrowers cover the entire spectrum from straight mortgage and construction loans, CMBS loans, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac loans, and mezzanine loans to lines of credit, syndicated loans, and sale-leaseback transactions. Such transactions involve the full spectrum of property including office buildings, multi-family, hospitality, retail, mobile home parks, hospitals, and raw land.
Full Service Attorney To Clients
In addition to representing her clients in the origination of transactions, Caroline also engages in asset management work. Not every loan goes as smoothly as planned, so a portion of Caroline's work involves loan modifications and restructures, forbearances, discounted payoffs, and settlements along with enforcement of remedies.
As lenders have been expanding their practice from traditional financing, Caroline has also expanded her practice. She represents clients in the selling and purchasing of loans, both individual notes along with portfolios, including an analysis of all of the due diligence and existing financing documents. She also represents clients in financing affordable housing, wind, and solar projects.
Represented one of the largest U.S. national banks in connection with an approximately $53 million mortgage loan to a large retail shopping center. The collateral was tenanted with small and multiple large, national tenants and subject to a ground lease with the municipality.
Represented a regional bank in connection with four mortgage loans to four affiliated borrowers secured by multiple hospitals and medical office buildings along with four revolving lines of credit to the operators of the properties and negotiated with eight separate participating lenders.
Represented a large national bank in connection with the restructure of a $100 million A/B loan to multiple borrowers and secured by both multiple office buildings along with membership interests in affiliated entities. In addition to the multiple collateral issues, representation included negotiation of the syndication of the loan with various lenders.
Represented a large national bank to strategize regarding a $75 million defaulted loan which ultimately resulted in the documentation and negotiation of a forbearance and subsequent discounted payoff and settlement for a large industrial property.
Represented a non-profit corporation in the formation of a loan program to fund federally granted funds for predevelopment loans for affordable housing projects including creation of form loan documents and funding and closing multiple loans upon formation of the program.
Represented a large public company in the acquisition of a portion of the membership interests in an existing entity in order to acquire control of a large shopping center in Hawaii, along with the assumption of the loan then encumbering such shopping center.
Represented a client as co-counsel in connection with the financing in the amount of approximately $350 million for a large wind energy project subject to more than 235 wind farm leasehold interests in Central California.
Represented a client in connection with the refinance of a loan secured by a hotel along with the purchase of its partner's membership interests in the joint venture and the restructure and consolidation of multiple junior loans securing the property.
- Press Release, Best Lawyers, 8.17.23
- News, Real Estate Forum/GlobeSt., 2.6.23
- Press Release, Super Lawyers, 1.10.23
- News, Connect CRE, 12.7.22
- Press Release, Best Lawyers, 8.18.22
- Press Release, Super Lawyers, 8.1.22
- Press Release, Best Lawyers®, 8.19.21
- Press Release, Best Lawyers®, 8.21.20
- Twenty-Five Cox Castle & Nicholson Attorneys have been selected to the 2020 Southern California Super LawyersPress Release, Super Lawyers, 5.1.20
- News, Real Estate Forum, 2.5.20
- Twenty-Nine Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2019 Southern California Super Lawyers & Rising StarsPress Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 7.15.19
- Thirty-five Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2018 Southern California Super Lawyers & Rising StarsPress Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 7.10.18
- News, The Real Deal, 7.13.17
- Press Release, CCN Press Release, 6.28.17
- Thirty Six Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2017 Southern California Super Lawyers & Rising StarsPress Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 6.7.17
- News, Law360, 6.9.16
- Press Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 6.6.16
- Thirty Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2015 Southern California Super Lawyers And Six Named As Rising StarsPress Release, 1.23.15
- News, Daily Journal, 1.6.15
- Five Cox, Castle & Nicholson LLP Attorneys From The Los Angeles Office Were Listed As Southern California Rising Stars 2013Press Release, Super Lawyers, 6.13.13
- Seven Cox, Castle & Nicholson LLP Attorneys From The Los Angeles Office Were Listed By Super Lawyers As The Top Women Attorneys In Southern California 2013Press Release, Super Lawyers, 6.13.13
- Press Release, 6.8.12
- Eleven Cox, Castle & Nicholson LLP Attorneys Are Recognized As Southern California Rising Stars 2011Press Release, Super Lawyers, June 2011
- News, Los Angeles Times, 6.16.09
- News, Southern California Lawyers Rising Stars Edition, 6.19.08
- Press Release, 6.10.08
- Cox, Castle & Nicholson LLP Names New Partners For 2008: Three New Partners Are Elected From The Los Angeles And Orange County OfficesPress Release, CCN Press Release, 1.2.08
- Sponsorship, City Club Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, 6.21.17
- Reception, InterContinental Century City, Los Angeles, California, 5.29.14
- Conference, Fairmont Miramar Hotel, Santa Monica, California, 9.9.13
- Conference, San Gabriel Hilton, San Gabriel, California, 6.26.13
- Reception, Beverly Hills, California, 10.18.12
- Sponsorship, Biltmore Hotel, Los Angeles, California, 10.3.11
- Conference, Los Angeles, California, 3.2.11
- Seminar, LACBA Conference Center, Los Angeles, California, 1.16.08
- Client Alert, 3.27.20
- Multi-State Property Financing: The Lenders PerspectiveArticle, 09.01.06
- Multi-State Loan TransactionsArticle, 04.26.05
Awards & Affiliations
Honors & Recognitions
Winner of Connect Commercial Real Estate's "Lawyers in Real Estate Award", 2022
Best Lawyers, Real Estate Law, 2021
Southern California Super Lawyers, 2013-2021
Super Lawyers Women's Edition, 2015-2021
GlobeSt. Real Estate Forum's 2020 Rainmaker in Debt & Equity Finance Influencers
Century City Chamber of Commerce Women of Achievement, 2012
Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2007-2008; 2011-2012
Real Estate Southern California Women of Influence, 2007 & 2008
Outstanding Young Lawyer from the Los Angeles County Bar Association, 2007
Los Angeles County Bar Association
Los Angeles County Bar Association, Real Property Section, Chair (2017)
Benjamin S. Crocker Symposium, Planning Committee Member,
Los Angeles County Bar Association, Finance Section, Former Chair
American College of Mortgage Attorneys (ACMA)
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Arizona (inactive)
J.D., Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, 1998
B.S., University of Arizona, 1995, cum laude