David Wensley is transactional attorney who specializes in all aspects of commercial real estate on a local and national scale.
David works with a broad array of clients across the full spectrum of the real estate industry, including the representation of office, industrial, and retail developers, owners and investors, corporate tenant users, lenders, institutional investors and borrowers, and real estate industry consultants, including property management companies, brokers, environmental consultants, architects, engineers, and contractors. He brings more than 26 years of experience in commercial real estate to his practice and is adept at negotiating, documenting, and closing all manner of commercial real estate transactions including land acquisition and disposition purchase and sale transactions, leases, joint ventures, commercial loans for borrowers and lenders, and all types of ancillary transactions related to the acquisition, development, construction, ownership, finance, management and disposition of office, industrial, retail, mixed-use, and multifamily projects. David also routinely counsels clients on partnership, joint venture and entity selection, formation and operation issues, mixed-use project design and development, and environmental issues, including environmental due diligence, site assessments and remediation, asbestos abatement and removal, underground tank removal, confidentiality and duty to disclose issues, and water and air quality compliance matters.
David's breadth of experience on both the borrower and lender side, the landlord and tenant side, the landowner and developer side as well as his work with numerous cities, counties and governmental agencies gives him perspective from every angle of virtually every type of real estate transaction and has made him the consummate dealmaker among real estate counsel based out of California.
Office, Industrial & Retail Leasing
For the past many years, David and his team of partners, associates and lease administrator paralegals have routinely handled an annual volume in excess of 5 million square feet of sophisticated high-rise office, industrial, and retail lease transactions. From small multi-tenant industrial, small office and shop space retail transactions to ground leases, major anchor retail, corporate office headquarters and campus facilities, entertainment centers, theater and health club transactions to 1 million-plus square foot warehouse, logistics and distribution deals, David's commercial development and leasing practice has virtually no limits.
His team's lease materials are in use for more than 40 million square feet of office, industrial, and retail space throughout California and the West Coast from Seattle to Denver to Las Vegas and Phoenix. He also represents national retail clients and corporate clients, having completed acquisition and leasing transactions across the country in Florida, Texas, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Illinois, New York, and other states with assistance from local counsel as needed.
Represented a major U.S. arm of an international car manufacturer in the purchase and finance of their headquarters facility in California.
On-going representation of a national retail health club operator in the acquisition and leasing of health club facilities across the U.S.
Represented a portfolio of office and industrial properties in several states for several regional and national institutional owners including first class high rise office towers in major markets of Los Angeles, San Diego, Orange County, San Francisco, Seattle, and Phoenix.
Represented several shopping center developers in the development and leasing of multiple major "big box" local and regional shopping centers including development of CC&Rs and REAs, ground leases, anchor leases, shop space leases, and on-going property management
Represented several different California industrial developers in the development, sale, and leasing of several master-planned, multi acre industrial projects, including development of master covenants, conditions and restrictions for the projects, parcel sales, build-to-suit leases, and ground leases.
Handled approvals, formation, and operation documentation for several industrial, office and medical office condominium projects including development of sale materials and closing of sales of over 60 office condominium units in a single project.
Represented a developer of residential project in Mexico including preparation of CC&Rs for gated residential single family home and condominium project.
- Press Release, Best Lawyers, 8.17.23
- Press Release, Super Lawyers, 1.10.23
- Press Release, Best Lawyers, 8.18.22
- Press Release, Super Lawyers, 8.1.22
- Press Release, Best Lawyers®, 8.19.21
- Press Release, Best Lawyers®, 8.21.20
- Twenty-Five Cox Castle & Nicholson Attorneys have been selected to the 2020 Southern California Super LawyersPress Release, Super Lawyers, 5.1.20
- Twenty-Nine Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Have Been Selected for the 2020 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®.Press Release,
The Best Lawyers in America®, 8.16.19
- News, The Best Lawyers in America®, 8.16.19
- Twenty-Nine Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2019 Southern California Super Lawyers & Rising StarsPress Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 7.15.19
- News, Western Real Estate Business, 6.10.19
- News, The Mercury News, East Bay Times, Los Angeles Daily News, Press-Enterprise, Daily Breeze, San Gabriel Valley Tribune, Pasadena Star-News, San Bernardino County Sun, Redlands Daily Facts, Whittier Daily News, Daily Bulletin, Long Beach Press Telegram, The Orange County Register, 12.18.18
- Twenty-Six Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Have Been Selected for the 2019 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®.Press Release,
The Best Lawyers in America®, 8.15.18
- Thirty-five Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2018 Southern California Super Lawyers & Rising StarsPress Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 7.10.18
- News, GlobeSt., 9.11.17
- Twenty-Three Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Have Been Selected for the 2018 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®.Press Release, The Best Lawyers in America®, 8.15.17
- Dave Wensley Featured In Connect Media Article - Leasing Demands: What’s Driving Today’s Work & Retail SpacesNews, Connect Media, 7.31.17
- Thirty Six Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2017 Southern California Super Lawyers & Rising StarsPress Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 6.7.17
- Twenty-One Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Have Been Selected for the 2017 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®.Press Release, The Best Lawyers in America®, 9.12.16
- Twenty-Two Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Have Been Selected for the 2017 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®.Press Release, 9.12.16
- Press Release, Southern California Super Lawyers, 6.6.16
- Press Release, Best Lawyers in America, 8.17.15
- Thirty Cox, Castle & Nicholson Attorneys Recognized As 2015 Southern California Super Lawyers And Six Named As Rising StarsPress Release, 1.23.15
- News, Daily Journal, 10.17.14
- Press Release, 7.18.14
- Press Release, 7.17.14
- Press Release, 3.8.13
- Twenty-Four Cox Castle & Nicholson LLP Attorneys Are Selected To Be Published In The 2013 Super Lawyers Business EditionPress Release, Super Lawyers Business Edition Magazine, 1.21.13
- News, GlobeSt.com, 8.20.12
- Twenty-Four Cox, Castle & Nicholson, LLP Attorneys Are Selected To Be Included In The Southern California Super Lawyers 2012 ListPress Release, Law 360, January 2012
- News, GlobeSt.com, 8.30.11
- News, Daily Journal, 8.15.11
- Press Release, 8.11.11
- Webinar, 6.3.20
- Conference, Hyatt Regency Los Angeles International Airport, Los Angeles, CA, 11.2.18
- Seminar, The Pacific Club, Newport Beach, CA, 10.31.18
- Conference, The Boardwalk, Irvine, CA, 9.25.18
- Conference, Hotel Indigo DTLA, Los Angeles, CA, 3.27.18
- Conference, Hotel Indigo, Los Angeles, CA, 3.27.18
- Conference, Brixton Capital Office, Solana Beach, CA, 8.23.17
- Conference, Balboa Bay Club, Orange County, CA, 7.27.17
- Seminar, First American Title, Santa Ana, CA, 7.25.17
- Conference, Irvine Marriott, Irvine, CA, 12.15.16
- Conference, Balboa Bay Club, Newport Beach, California, 7.28.16
- Conference, Balboa Bay Club, Newport Beach, CA, 7.22.15
- Seminar, Radisson Hotel, Newport Beach, California, 4.22.15
- Conference, Ontario Convention Center - Ontario, CA, 1.29.15
- Sponsorship, Pelican Hill, Newport Beach, California, 5.29.14
- Conference, Hyatt Regency, Irvine, California, 8.22.13
- Seminar, LBA Realty, Newport Beach, California, 8.8.13
- Conference, The Hyatt Regency Century Plaza, Los Angeles, California, 3.27.13
- Conference, Westin South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, California, 1.26.13
- Conference, Hyatt Regency, Irvine, California, 8.16.12
- Seminar, Los Angeles, California, 3.22.12
- Client Alert, 8.17.23
- Article, The Mann Report, 11.2.18
- Article, Los Angeles Lawyer Magazine, 2.7.18
- Article, Western Real Estate Business, 1.20.15
- Article, The Los Angeles Business Journal, 4.14.14
- Client Alert, CCN Client Alert, 6.5.13
Awards & Affiliations
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers, Real Estate Law, 2013-2021
Southern California Super Lawyers, 2008-2021
Orange County Bar Association, Real Property Section
International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
NAIOP Southern California, Board of Directors
CORE-Net Global Southern California, Board of Directors
USC Real Estate Alumni Association
American Bar Association
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of California
J.D., University of California College of the Law, San Francisco, 1984, with honors
B.A., University of Southern California, 1981, with honors